Grays Opera House opened on March 8, 1870. The structure was built of sun-dried bricks and wood harvested in the area. Grays Opera House was financed by Hugh, Noah and James Gray. The building was designed by local architect, Oscar S. Buel and was deemed by The Romeo Observer to be the most elegant building in Macomb County, with gas lighting fixtures and plate glass imported from France.
Designed in the popular Italianate style of the period seen in many houses in Romeo, it has heavy ornate brackets under the eaves and round hoods over the arched windows. The building is three stories in height. In size and purpose, the Opera House is comparable to Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C., which was built at the same time. Grays Opera House is the only remaining opera house of the period in Michigan that is still functioning.
Over its history, the Opera House has played host to several prominent speakers, including: Senator Zachariah Chandler, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a tireless promoter of women’s rights, as well as Grant’s Vice President Schuyler Colfax. It is a well-loved piece of Romeo’s history.